Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hard Day's Night

I hate to just complain (no, wait, I LOVE to complain) sometimes about film school. I am aware that most people are dealing with much greater issues and problems, especially in this economy - (a phrase which, by the way, deserves its own blogpost soon). That all being said, I'd like to briefly complain.

I love that USC constantly harps on us as student filmmakers for making sure we are always safe, and never working our actors too hard, having at least a 12 hour turnaround on shooting schedules, and then gives us workloads, classes, and expectations that flip those notions on their head.

I had my directing class tonight which runs from 7pm to 10:30pm. You'd think that 7-10 is enough, but I guess not. In fact, since the teacher will just talk and talk and and the SA doesnt say anything and we go 5 or 10 minutes over. Now its almost 11 o-clock. This all might be okay, except that I've got a class tomorrow morning that usually starts at 9 am BUT, oh happy happy joy joy, we're starting at 8:30 am because there's SO much to go through. AND that class is supposed to end at 11:50 am (it NEVER does), and usually can go to 12:05 or 12:10. Thank God my producing teacher usually lets us start 15 to 30 minutes later and always makes sure we finish on time. I guess thats one thing thats nice about being a producer - people can argue cuts and angles and sound and subjects and choices, but no one can argue with the location of the hands of a clock.

Which, as I can see, are waaaaayy too late for someone who needs to wake up in, like, 5 hours.

crap.

-MJK

No comments: