Friday, March 27, 2009

The G and S Show: Part I

"When do we go into lockdown mode?"

This is the question I posed to a classmate earlier today, and since we don't have classes on a Navy submarine or State Prison or anywhere that might usually require a lockdown mode, you may wonder why.

Well, this weekend all students - except for students currently editing a project - are not allowed in our brand new multi-million dollar School of Cinematic Arts building. Which might be mildly annoying, except for the fact that the reason is because this weekend "Uncle" George Lucas is throwing big grand opening party for himself and all the other big Hollywood-types that ponied up the dough to build our splendid little superstructure.

The two most high-profile guests will be the two men for which each wing of the new building in named: George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

It's pretty wild thinking that these two barons of the blockbuster will be hobnobbing and schmoozing around the very same halls I stroll and saunter. Just think: Steven Spielberg sitting on the same bench I sit on, Steven Spielberg drinking from the same water fountain I drink from, Steven Spielberg crapping on the same - well, you get the idea.

And G and S are just the tip of the iceberg - top execs from all the major networks and studios will be milling about...Dreamworks, Paramount, NBC Universal, 20th Century Fox....the list goes on and on! It's the networking opportunity of a lifetime!!!

Which is why, of course, students will not be allowed within shouting distance of any of the entertainment elite this weekend. Starting at 5pm PST the building goes into "lockdown mode" - where only special staff and guests will be allowed entrance - until 5pm this Sunday. I can't say I blame 'em. I mean, I'm not one to get too starstruck but the thought of the ridiculous amount of movie moguls that will be hanging out at the SCA building this weekend is enough for me to "explode a Death Star" in my pants and run up to anyone and everyone with a script in one hand, a directing reel in another, and my mouth full of business cards.

Now the editors (including the editors of our documentary) will be allowed access to the labs in the basement for a limited amount of hours, but that comes only after being put on a special list and getting a special bracelet. Even after that, they have strict instructions to dress appropriately, not linger or loiter in the hallways, and explicit orders to not speak to or disturb any of the partygoers who are walking about during the open house.

So as much as I'd like to sneak myself in with one of those bracelets (and I certainly could) I've decied I'd get about as much access to these people as I would standing at the corner of Hollywood and Vine shouting at every dark window-tinted BMW that passed by. Plus, considering this is our LAST WEEKEND of filming for the doc, I'll certainly have enough to do already.

But is there a chance I may swing by campus for some silly reason and slowly meander in the proximity of the SCA building this weekend?

You bet your sweet X-Wing there is.

-MJK

2 comments:

Russ said...

Mark- Your "ultimate weapon" is your midwestern demeanor. Use it to schmooz with the "empire". If not, you could always use excessive "force" to get to Speilberg. Help us Mark Kosin, your're our only hope.

Russ

MARKJKOSIN said...

There's no prize for most STAR WARS puns in a row, but if there was you'd surely win the Golden Wookie