Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ba-ba--ba-da-da

Start spreading the news....
I'm leaving today...
I want to be a part of it....

New Jersey, New Jersey!

Wait, that's not right. Oh, but it is, as I was greeted to the Big Apple by host extraordinaire Bill Hupp (who currently resides in Hoboken, New Jersey--hometown of Frank Sinatra).

Yes it was an exciting 48 hours in the NYC and Hupp made it possible by providing a place for me to lay my weary head Friday night. Jersey, incidentally, is not so bad. It's got the hustle of the big city but has a great neighborhood feel. 

The first night I was dead tired but I've been told this is the city that never sleeps, so why should I? So Friday Hupp and I met Mr. Manhattan himself for a few drinks (and a game or two of beer-pong, which some people call "Beruit") at a bday party for a friend. 

Saturday was a busy day also, as we rushed to get Hupp to Penn Station on time to make his flight back to Chicago (the lucky bastard), I followed that up with "the best pizza in New York" (according to the Daily News) at Bleeker Street Pizza, scotch and cigars at an awesome cigar bar that has locations in New York and Prague, some delicious home-cooked lasagna, and a visit to the Comedy Cellar where we saw the likes of Jim Norton, Mitch Fatel, and other comedians of some note. It was some funny stuff, but it really wet my appetite to see the new Second City shows.

To confess I didn't really go all out either night. I know: lame. But I am so beat from the final week of classes i don' want to be stupid and get sick before Cannes-ing it up.

Anyway, aside from a solid sandwich at a diner in Queens this morning there's not much else to my New York sojourn. I'm at JFK now, waiting to board. 

Sometime I need to spend like a week in this town and really get to know it. I like New York, a lot. Coming here really reminds me what a city snob I am and how I sympathize for people who live out in place like Nebraska or Wyoming. which reminds me....

TOM REILLY! IF YOU STILL HAVE INTERNET IN BUFFALO AND CAN READ THIS GET OUT! GET TO CHICAGO AS SOON AS YOU CAN! LEAVE THE WYO! COME TO CHI!

Sorry about that...it had to be done.

Well, that's a full lid for today. The next blog should be comin' at ya live from the French Riviera, so please, dress nice.




No comments: