Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Think It Was the 4th of July








Above are some photos I took in the harsh light of day on the 5th of July, deciding to make sure there was some documentation of the extremely successful 4th of July BBQ I threw at my place in Venice.

I wish I had some photos of the actual party, but I was much too busy playing beach football, grilling like a pro, and downing a few beers (okay, maybe more than a few, but I was staying in Venice all night so there was no need to stay sober).

But indeed, it was a very good, very fun, and very patriotic celebration - from the bountiful American beer (Sam Adams Summer Ale mostly) to the recession-conscious $10 flag bunting I made myself (the Fashion District is one of L.A.'s best-kept secrets - full of street meat and cheap fabric). I was really pleasantly surprised by the high turnout: its not always easy to get people to come to Venice on busy holiday weekends...parking is INSANE.

But they did come, tons of classmates and their friends - not to mention a few cast and crew from some past projects. I probably went through almost 20 burgers and 30 hot dogs and brats. Not to mention the fact that almost everyone who came brought some beer and when I came out to clean the next morning I barely found a drop of alcohol left; so, indeed, a good time was certainly had by all.

It was fitting, too, as the 4th of July represents an anniversary for me: it's been one full year now that I have been living in Venice. Last Fourth I had just pretty much moved in and had reservations if it would be the right move. Now, a year later, I couldn't be happier living in Venice and am planning to stay for at least another year.

Aside from the obvious perk of living near the beach, one of the other things that is so great about Venice is that its a real neighborhood, or, even beyond that, a COMMUNITY. In a town like L.A. where people are often blase about civic pride, there is a definite attitude that I've found in Venice that sets it apart. Perhaps its the gritty Dogtown roots or the curious mix of rich condo-dwellers and drugged-up beach bums, but this area has a feeling all its own.

It also might be the fact that a seemingly lot of ex-Chicagoans live in Venice. I see more Bears fans on the streets and bars of Venice than I have anywhere else in L.A.

Don't worry though, I'm not getting too attached. Let's just say that Venice makes living 2,100 miles from a home a bit more....tolerable. Nothin' beats Chicago.

No comments: