Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fanboys of Summer

Imagine if you will a magical place, where those usually shunned from society are courted by the biggest players in Hollywood. Where grown men and women wear costumes - NOT on Halloween - and are embraced for it. Where a baseball stadium sits empty and quiet while a convention center is filled with rabid fanaticism.

Yes, it's COMICON!

This past Thursday, I had the pleasure of traveling to San Diego to attend an event built for fans of comics and movies, by fans of comics and movies.

I was fortunate because a classmate of mine had his 508 film (you remember that, fall semester, last year?) accepted into the ComiCon Independent Film festival, which meant that he had a couple of free passes. And so, with a comfy auto and a pretty good working knowledge of the city of San Diego, I was tapped to be the "+1" to this prestigious event.

There's a lot that could be said, but I think, in this instance, the pictures say more than words ever could.













Quick run-down of the pics
1. me yelling at C3-PO
2. me with Princess Leia, Jabba the Hutt slave edition
3. me getting attacked by sexy zombie babes
4. me with fellow USC students who made the trip
5. me captured by Boba Fett
6. one of the many ads for the HIGHLY anticipated (in my mind) movie District-9
7. COMICON banner
8. me with Sawyer's LaFleur Darma jumpsuit from LOST

For the record, since we had the screening of my friend's film to attend I wasn't able to see any of the panel, especially the preview screening for James Cameron's upcoming movie AVATAR.

But, as you can see, the day was more fun than a ride in the Millennium Falcon.

No comments: