Saturday, January 5, 2008

Internet, eh?

In the final weeks leading up to my bittersweet departure from the City of Big Shoulders, I realized that in all probability I would end up feeling really guilty about moving to L.A. and being really busy and not spending much time talking to my friends and family back home. Until my wonderful Aunt Paula gave me the ultimate loophole: a blog!

For those unfamiliar with the wide-world-interweb, "blogg" references an old Anglo-Saxon drink, not unlike mead, that warriors would down after battle and discuss their kills. The modern genisis of the term refers to virtual "blogg-halls" which originated in the mid-nineties by Star Wars fans to spout off about George Lucas' re-release of episodes IV, V, and VI. However, in this modern era, blogs are used by everyone from housewives to NBA celebrities like Mark Cuban and Gilbert Arenas.

My blog will allow my family and friends in the Second City to witness my transformation from good-natured, friendly, whiskey-drinking Chicagoan to strung-out, shallow, sushi-munching, freeway-driving, Valium-addicted Los Angelite.

Just kidding. I'll still drink whiskey in LA.

But this will allow me to let the people I care about in Chicago know what I'm up to at USC without me having to make 10-12 calls a week. In addition to updates about my schoolwork, I might also talk a bit about how LA is different from CHI. Weird phrases are spoken there like "Let's do lunch" or "I'm watching the Clippers". Hopefully I can make the 2,023 miles feel a little bit shorter.

-MJK

ps: Oh, and I think other people can post things on my blog, kind of like facebook or smack talk on fantasy. So, yeah.....someone try that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hopefully you haven't forgotten how to study in the last 8 months since you've seen a classroom. I know that I pretty much have, but I do remember 2 important words: Red Bull. Good luck man!

Unknown said...

Let's be honest Mark, no one watches the Clippers. Good luck.