Wednesday, January 16, 2008

High Five!

5 days since dad flew back to ORD and I've been here on my own, so what the hell's been going on? Well, Friday I met my colleagues (we are all first semester grad students, those who started in fall '07 are 2nd semester, and so on thru 6 semesters). The class of about 50 has an impressive Chicago contingent, like six people. Plus someone from NW Indiana (which, I suppose, counts) and an Iowa guy. Two of the Chicagoans are into the improv scene and have (like myself) enjoyed a beer or two at the venerable Old Town Ale House. The rest of the class is really diverse in age, geography, and film background. There's a bunch of people from the south, some west coasters, some east coasters, and more than a couple of internationals. I'm one of the youngest, with most of the class being in their mid to late 20's.

My first weekend in LA was laid back, with most of my time being spent getting to know the classmates and unpacking my new life here, getting the furniture delivered, cable hooked up (I love HD-it is so choice, especially 46 inches of it in my living room). I've resolved that once I get my place cleaned up I'll take some pictures and post them..... so that may never happen.

Oh, so I buy this tool box at Target to replace the old one I left in Chicago, and I get it home and the case is screwed shut. You needed a TOOL to open the TOOLBOX. Why would I buy the *%#$@! toolbox if I had a phillips head just lying around?!! Who are these people?

Anyway, my only "going out" was catching a sketch show at Upright Citizens Brigade, a comedy theater based out of New York. It was OK. Hollywood Boulevard is kind of the center of nightlife but I don't know...it's really strange. It just seems like it's nothing but chubby 20 year-old girls from Newport going to concerts with their boyfriends whose attire would land them squarely in the North Halsted area BUT this is LA so they're straight. And drug dealers and Asian tourists. They're always there, too.

The first couple of classes were a lot of introduction and stuff, but for 507--our big production class--we have to shoot 3 shorts on our own plus a small group short, so, we'll see how all that goes. Everyone in the program seems really eager to learn and help everyone and all hang out and drink milkshakes together. I'll be honest, I was expecting a little bit more competitiveness but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. We'll see what happens once the shooting starts.

Other than all that, I'm really looking forward to a Packers-Patriots Superbowl. It's sure to be an exciting rematch from Superbowl XXXI, kind of like Superbowl XXXI II. Anyway, I am dubbing the game to take place on Feb 3rd "The Duel in the Desert: Butch Casssidy vs. the Sundance Kid", with Brett Favre in Paul Newman's role and pretty-boy Tom Brady filling in for pretty-boy Robert Redford. I am happy to see Brett Favre get to the superbowl in what I'm really hoping is his final year. Of course, he's not going to win it, but I'm happy to see him get there.

Another wacky "Mark's in SoCal" moment was tonight, we could go watch some open auditions get videotaped for the film students' reference. Halfway through I went outside to have a mini cigar, chatted with some classmates and helped some actress with her lines. When we were done and headed back inside I flicked my lit cigar into the brush. This was the result:







Okay, not really. I quickly realized my error and stomped it out as people looked on with horror. Made me realize that I took the endless puddles, snowbanks, and alleyways for granted in Chicago. Apparently, this area's had some trouble with loose flames in the past. Who knew?

With that, I will leave you with a conversation I had today with a classmate about weather.

Me: I was talking to my dad and later this week it's going to be six in Chicago.
Classmate: Six inches of snow?
Me: No, six degrees.

Stay warm and have an Old Style on me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch out for those chubbies from Newport. They'll love and leave you.

Anonymous said...

Testing 1-2-3. testing 1-2-3.

Getting used to this new technology!

Watch for Eli to get the frozen snot knocked out of him this weekend. Pack 17 Midgets 3.

BillHupp said...

Kosin, your blog is brilliant. Glad to hear you made it out there alright (to say nothing of the deal on furniture!). Looking forward to reading more posts in the future (whilst listening to my guys, Boers and Bernstein).