Friday, February 25, 2011

"Social" Obsession

In case it wasn't clear from my last post, I am going to use this blog like the cheap tawdry promotional tool it is to pump out so much self-serving tripe it will make Duffman - greatest spokeshero of all time - look like a anti-capitalist revolutionary.

In that spirit, I present a little something that's online today that is as much a shameless publicity grab as it is a labor of love - a trailer for "The Sin Bin" that rips off the trailer for "The Social Network" -




Sure, it might be good for the web series, but - let's be honest - this was just something I wanted to do, and it really has driven me to a very simple conclusion.

I am OBSESSED with THE SOCIAL NETWORK.

I was obsessed when I heard Sorkin was writing the script.

I was obsessed when I saw the trailer.

I was obsessed when I READ Sorkin's script.

I was even more obsessed with the trailer AFTER I read the script.

I was obsessed when I saw it opening night - midnight show!

AND SO ON....

And now its come to this: throwing together a trailer that mimics the one that captured my imagination all those months ago just two days before we find out if the Academy is going to give this film the BEST PICTURE award it so richly deserves.

For variety of reasons, I don't like to get into reviewing movies too much on the blog (mostly because I'd be embarrassed to reveal how few films I actually end up seeing....nothing like making movies to help you stop seeing movies...), but I want to lay down why I think I'm so drawn to this Sorkin/Fincher Masterwork.

I have a real soft spot for well-done TIMELY movies; films that get made that really tap into something of the "now". That's why I really liked 'Up in the Air'...it just felt so....2009.

Ironically, I think I have this fascination with "now" because I love history so much and I'm always wondering where I may fit in. There's something about being part of a time and place and a decade and a movement that I really like the idea of. And I don't even mean something political...just part of human progress. What's he point of living in 2011 if you live a life that could fit right in with 1986?

If I wanted to do that I'd just move to Nebraska.

Point is: I like cities, I like current events, I like NOW. And that's why I am obsessed with "The Social Network".

Even though my relationship with Facebook is becoming more distant and detached, divorce clouds certainly gathering on the horizon, there's no denying its amazing transformation of and integration into our world. That stupid social networking site has redefined what the internet is and can be...

"We don't know what it is, we don't know what it will be! What we do know is that its cool"

THE SOCIAL NETWORK not only taps into the creation of this revolutionary website, but I really think it says so much about who we are as a society right now.

The introverted, snarky aloofness of Zuckerberg wraps up America's youth in a nutshell. Been to a bar lately? Have any idea how hard it is to hit on a girl who texts all night?

Yeah, me neither....I'm too busy Tweeting...

Edwardo's naivete and betrayal feel like a just right analogy for the financial mess we're in. And if you want an insight into the entertainment industry look no farther than Timberlake's Sean Parker: smooth, seductive, full of grand promises...but also paranoid, shallow, and absolutely terrified of not coming up with the next big thing.

Plus, the whole idea of Zuckerberg "defeating" the Winklevoss twins...I mean, we live in the age where the smart have taken over...for better or worse. Obama, Zuckerberg, Jobs..etc. Tina Fey is the nerdy queen of comedy while a brainiac like Peyton Manning ( or Tom Brady playing the willing puppet to evil genius Belichick) is the new model for sports glory. Dumb only triumphs in Applebee's or Alabama.

Anyway...I could go on, but I can't imagine it'd be anything more than nonsensical gushing and preaching (of course, isn't that all this blog is?)...

I've made my case. This Sunday we'll see if the Academy voters recognize that there's a special type of brilliance in filmmaking that comes along with tapping into the zeitgiest of the times. Best Picture shouldn't just be about 'what's the best movie' like it is some paint-by-number exercise of GOOD SCRIPT + GOOD ACTING + GOOD EXECUTION, but instead what film speaks most to those watching it, and what film has the most interesting thing to say about who we are RIGHT NOW.

And who is that? A generation online and plugged in.

The internet is how we communicate and get entertainment.

SPEAKING OF ENTERTAINMENT....

...there's a really cool new web series...maybe you've heard of it?




Come MARCH 1ST we're hoping for twenty-two hundred views in two hours.

I'm sorry: THOUSAND. Twenty-two THOUSAND.

Wait...

No, I was right the first time. I'll be very happy with twenty-two hundred views for the first episode.

Maybe we can even become a campus phenomenom....


"Sin Bin me"

Don't know what that would mean, exactly. Just as long as its cool.

MK

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I gotta disagree with you here. I too am the biggest fan of everything Sorkin - I still occasionally pull out my DVD set of the only season of Studio 60, just to watch a random episode, and I think they should bring back the West Wing. Maybe only for a season or two or something. Or a West Wing movie - something!

However, The King's Speech deserves Best Picture. Sorkin can have Best Screenplay - he's a shoe-in for it. But the King's Speech was by far the best movie I've seen in years. Geoffrey Rush and Clive Owen killed in that movie. The slate of movies up for Best Picture is certainly better than last year's crop, and if the Social Network were going up against Avatar or Hurt Locker, it probably would win. But King's Speech has to take it this year.