Monday, March 1, 2010

Gone "Hollywooder"

About a week ago I took a big step in my journey from well-mannered, middle-class guy from Chicago to becoming a big fat Hollywood phony.

Or should I say, iPhony?

Yes....due to some recent SIM card troubles with my trusty ol' Blackjack II, I recently went in search of a new phone. Took a look at the Blackberry, which is great, but as I saw many of my friends who had joined the ranks of iPhoneNation, I came to a moment where I could not help but hear the voice of the wise old Rafiki....

"It is time...."

And, like Simba must embrace who he is and roar for all the kingdom, I felt it was time that I embrace my sleek, hip, Hollywood lifestyle and purchase an iPhone.

It's the Circle of Life....

The damn thing is just so damn easy to use which, for a technologically impaired person like myself, is a must. Though it wasn't easy...there's something about the whole Apple operation that feels like its wrong. I had a similar feeling of uncertainty when I got my MacBook almost two years ago and have had nothing but satisfaction since then. Still, I kind of felt like a "sellout", but I went ahead with it anyway, like all the animals of the plains were waiting for me to make the purchase.

But after just one week, I gotta say: it's awesome.

And I've started to try to change my own impression of Apple. Once it seemed like the enemy until I realized something. Apple is an AMERICAN company. Apple should be no different than McDonald's or Coca-Cola when it comes to a brand that deserves my loyalty. I guess that since Apple is a little newer in my life that true dedication is still going to take some time.

(Speaking of American, how bout that hockey game? Was there anybody NOT watching it? I'm disappointed as an American but encouraged as a Chicagoan as Toews and Kane both shined in big pressure situations... )


Anyway, like I said, the iPhone purchase does feel like another item on the checklist of "going Hollywood". Even though tons of people in Chicago clearly carry the cute little pocket computer, its still got that slick "Cupertino, California" feel to it.

I know I certainly feel like a douchebag now that I join the people I used to make fun of. The people who, at any lull at any point in their day will whip that phone out and start facebooking or emailing or playing DrunkSniper or DoodleJump.

I HATE those people - they represent how technology divides us and saps us of real life experiences! What ever happened to enjoying the world around you?! Stopping to smell the ros-

....


...


.....


..


.......



Sorry. Just wanted to check the latest news on my iPhone's "Variety" app....it seems the cast of "Glee" is going to make a concert tour this May....how 'bout that?


What was I saying?


Ah yes: I love my new iPhone. But enough talking about it. It's my new toy and I'm happy but its time to move on and just let it stand as a quiet reminder that I'm drifting farther and farther away from the anti-cool guy who insisted on getting a landline for the the first two years of college just because I wasn't ready to embrace a cell-only lifestyle.

Anyway, this'll be the first and last of the iPhone related posts. I hope. I promise.

Happy March everyone!





Sent from my iPhone.

No comments: