Monday, September 21, 2009

Welcome to TV Land!

Hey, so I'm finally back on the air after a protracted hiatus! There is a whole lot that's been going on and that will be going on, but for now just going to give the overview.

Many of you who I've talked in in the past months probably already have a good view of what my plan is for the semester, and for those who don't I can pretty much sum it up in two magical letters:

T......V!

I have decided that, for the most part, this semester will be dedicated to that most beautiful of glowing boxes: Television! It's probably best described by Homer Simpson as "Teacher! Mother!...secret lover..."

With a narrowing of focus on my part to seek a career in television writing (at least initially) I have a 3 pronged plan this semester to master all there is to know about the amazing medium, and I'm calling it Project Snake. You may ask "why?"

Well, cause Project Snake sounds cool. Duh.

But, also, because my 3 pronged plan is made up of three S's..they are as follows: Staahl, Sander, and Smallville...SSS. Make sense yet? I'll show you what I'm talking about:

1. Staahl - As in Jim Staahl, a Second City alum + comedy actor/writer, who is teaching my Sitcom Class, where we learn to write a spec script for a sitcom on the air....(I'm trying my hands at '30 Rock'). Funny guy, good teacher, and he's been on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" before! This "S" could also be known as "Sitcom" or "Spec".

2. Sander - As in Ian Sander, the executive producer of the CBS show "The Ghost Whisperer" and longtime mover and shaker in the world of television who is teaching a class, appropriately titled "The World of Television". This class is going to feature an in-depth look at how TV shows come to be, from the initial pitch and pilot to the longevity of a series and syndication. It also great because Ian is a fantastic teacher who loves to tell stories and has a cool, realistic view of the TV industry.

and finally.....

3. Smallville - As in I have an internship at the writers office for the CW show SMALLVILLE! Yep, 2 days a week I will be schlepping up to Burbank to the Warner Brothers building and doing some daily intern duties to assist in the writing of a prime time television show. (And hey, its no Emmy's powerhouse - though it has won for sound editing and visual effects - but its a show that has been on the air for 9 seasons....I'll take that any day). Been there two weeks so far and really, really enjoying it.

Now, there is a lot more to be said about each part of Project Snake (which is actually sounding more gay each time I use it....may have to come up with something else....), but I just wanted to lay down the initial framework for the semester and some really cool things on the horizon.

*There's also a fourth "S" that is not TV-related but will be a big part of this semester. Hint: it rhymes with "Flielberg"!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Schlielberg?