Sunday, October 5, 2008

Time...................

[Editor's note: Today's blog has its own soundtrack! Just click the link in a separate window!]

Time is on my side, yes it it.......
Time is on my side, yes it is......


Usually I leave the Cubs blogging to the professionals, only occasionally throwing in a pithy comment when the team from the Northside does something especially worth noting. But these last 5 days (that's all it was!) require some deeper probing, as a performance like that will send even the truest of Cubs' fans into a period of great soul searching.


Now you always say
That you want to be free
But you'll come running back, You'll come running back,
You'll come running back to me.......


After looking at the stats, and trying to wrap one's head around the deafening silence of the Cubs' bats, it feels like this is all some big, cruel joke: Okay, Cubs fans, we're going to give you a great offensive lineup, solid pitching, and a more-often-than-not dependable bullpen. The Cubs will play some of the best baseball they've played in DECADES. You'll have solid veterans, a rookie of the year winner, 8 All-Stars, clutch performances in big series, 97 wins, and a no-hitter......

And then you'll score 6 runs in three games, commit 4 errors, and get swept by the team that, if not in the NL West, wouldn't have even been in the wild-card race!

Haw-haw!


Time is on my side, yes it is........

Time is on my side, yes it is.......


100 years. Now, it seems impossible. It all seems so incredibly frustrating because everyone saw stars and planets aligning. I, myself, felt like this was a season custom-built for me as a fan. The Cubs were going to clinch the NLDS in LA! I bought tickets! I was going to go back to Chicago to see a World Series game in Wrigley Field!

Hell, this summer I even wrote a feature length script in which the protagonist has to road trip his way to Chicago in order to see the Cubs play in the World Series. It was going to get optioned by the NLCS and greenlit the same day the Cubs won it all!


You'll come running back, you'll come running back,

You'll come running back to me.........


The worst part is where do we go now? ("Soldier Field?" - please, lets not give up on one impossible dream just to follow some Polish-sausage induced hallucination) But, really, WHAT IN THE HELL DO WE DO NOW? When one of the best Cubs' teams in decades cant even win a game in the first round of the playoffs, what is the battle plan? How do we go on?



Time is on my side, yes it is..........

Time is on my side, yes it is..........


I'm putting all my Cubs t-shirts in a box. Sticking the old '03 cap on the highest hat hook, and doing my best to cover and/or ignore the innumerable amount of Cubs memorabilia that litters my home and car. I'm forgetting about Wrigley, ivy, Old Style, and "Go, Cubs, Go" (although there is another Steve Goodman song I've found myself listening to quite a bit these past days...).

It's time to focus on making movies and writing new non-Cubs scripts and the election and the NFL and the Bears (damn, I can't help it) and 2016 Olympics and Oscar season and great TV shows and Thanksgiving and Christmas and puppies and candy and EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING NOT RELATED TO THE CHICAGO CUBS!!!!!


'Cause I got the real love

The kind that you need

You'll come running back (said you would, baby)

You'll come running back (I always said you would)

You'll come running back, to me


Of course, those diversions will only last so long. As the seasons turn and the holidays come and go and the Bears falter in the playoffs and the winter becomes long and cold and we begin to yearn for sunshine and cold beer and peanuts that same, old, beautiful feeling will be felt once again.


Small at first, and generally still filled with cynicism as fans flock to the Chicago Hilton, it will grow and grow as reports start coming in from Mesa, and once again I will fall in love only to get hurt again. And again. And again.


It's a horrible cycle, but what else can I do? The Red Sox won it. Those guys on 35th street won it. It's just a matter of good baseball. Besides, this cycle can't go on forever.


Can it?


Yes time, time, time is on my side, yes it is
Time, time, time is on my side, yes it is

Oh, time,
time, time is on my side, yes it is I said, time, time, time is on my side, yes it is
Oh, time, time, time is on my side
Yeah, time, time, time is on my side

3 comments:

Markese said...

"EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING NOT RELATED TO THE CHICAGO CUBS!!!!!"

You're talking about the White Sox right?

Anonymous said...

Yes, obviously. Let's all hear it for the team that managed to stay in the playoffs almost 48 more hours than the Cubs.

[clap, clap, clap]

Markese said...

Whoa whoa whoa! That wasn't shit talking, I just thought maybe the boys in black had just found a new convert! Guess not....I mean, we blew it too...we looked like an above-40 16-inch softball team compared to the Rays.