Monday, September 22, 2008

"I'll Meet You at The Station"

Sorry it's been awhile, but I've been wading though some busy times. And hey: lots of exciting stuff going on.

First and foremost, big night this week as "The Station"--the independent pilot that Rob, Russ and I shot in Chicago last fall-- is having its official "world premiere" at the Naperville Independent Film Festival this week.

For those who haven't seen it, "The Station" showcases "three young men as they attempt to get a piece of the action in the bustling landscape of Chicago. One's a trust-fund millionaire, one's a womanizer, and one was born to play in the X-Games. They share a condo and a bond as friends while they help, and hurt, each others' chances for success".



And no, I didn't just pull that from the back of the DVD. Please.


But here's a few of the top "screen grabs" from the pilot.














So this Thursday, September 25th, The Station will be screening twice (at 12 noon and at 9:45pm) at The Comedy Shrine in downtown Naperville. It's right by Jimmy's Grill and the Barnes and Nobel.

Plus, there's going to be a pre-game party at Heaven on Seven for the 9:45pm show, and if any of y'all want in lemme know (or talk to my Dad or Russ) to get the details. Nothing like mixing hurricanes and hilarity. It's funny that the party will at an establishment known for its gumbo, for reasons that only me, Rob and De Lara would know. Ask me sometime what gumbo has to do with the Station and I'll tell you the tale.

In other awesome news, how bout the 2008 NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPION CHICAGO CUBS!!!!!

Man, do I wish I could have been in Chicago this past week. First for Big Z's no-hitter (instead of being one the 23,441 fans in Miller Park, I enjoyed it as an audience of one on my computer thanks to MLB.TV) and then for the clincher this weekend. On Saturday I was helping a friend shoot in downtown L.A., following the game closely on my cell, and was able to sneak away to a near-empty Irish bar and to catch Kerry Wood making the final 3 outs. The sound wasn't on, but I made my presence known by treating the 3 other patrons to Van Halen's "Jump" (for some reason, "Go Cubs Go" wasn't in the jukebox).

Now I am furiously rooting for the Brew-Crew and the Dodgers in hopes of achieving a Cubs-Dodger NLDS. The Cubs can help make that happen by chalking up some wins in Shea Stadium this week. (BTW: Really enjoyed the coverage of the last game at Yankee Stadium, made me really glad I got to catch a game there back in '06. I doubt anyone will shed a tear for the demolition of that crap-hole in Queens).

Indeed, between the special things happening on the Northside and the screening this Thursday (plus, a certain someone's upcoming birthday will be celebrated in the midst of an extremely busy shooting weekend) it makes me really pine to be back in CHI with family, friends, and changing seasons. But, making movies is really what I want to do with my life, and the more I wish I was back in Chicago, the tougher my resolve becomes to really "make it" and start getting paid to write and produce movies so I can move back to the city I love.

Anyway, hate to leave on such a sappy note, but it's business time.

So, enjoy the Cubbies, $#@% the Mets, Go Dodgers and Brewers, and I'll meet you at the Station.

1 comment:

Russ said...

the station stood up well against some of the other films. So much so, that I left before the rest of them were finished. Couple of hacky pieces of rubbish in that fest. I definitley heard some laughs from the row behind me. As far as how the pilot looked, the sound was pretty weak for a couple of scenes, but overall I think it came out well. In fact, damn proud.