Monday, April 28, 2008

Kosin's 11

As in 11 days until my first semester at USC is a wrap and I jet from Tupac territory to Notorious B.I.G -land.

We finished shooting our 4th project, the class group project, and I found myself in the precarious producer role. Getting the location was a bigger pain in my ass than the fans of a certain south side baseball franchise but I finally landed a bar that has pretty much just opened and I sold them on my pitch that this would be great exposure for their place to USC students.

It was certainly tricky because in L.A. it seems like every single bar has been filmed in at least twice and so its mighty tough to go in as a student and say "we don't have any money and this film will not be seen by more than 30 people but can you shut down your bar for 8 hours on a saturday?"

Luckily I was able to close on it just 4 days before we wanted to shoot. I was damn happy to close. ABC - "you can't close shit? you are shit! hit the bricks pal because you are going out!"

anyway I've got pics backed up worse than my kitchen sink (don't ask: I'm buying the liquid plumber tomorrow) so let me give y'all some images from my 3rd and 4th projects.

Here's a few from "The California 29th".....









Going for the noir-political thing, got some very nice light-thru-the-blinds action going on.






















Now THAT'S a politician!














The director at work. Is it weird that I insist on being called "Il Duce" on set?












This is a nice one taken by my David Lynch-obsessed friend and colleague.










And here's just a few from P4. It's called "What Love May Also Bring". Our director of photography happens to own an HD camera so what a nice coincidence that's what we got to shoot on. The frame grabs are awesome.







And, yeah, so the film takes place at night, and we shot in the day...needless to say there was much black plastic and tape for the windows.





Mmmmm....HD.










Because it was HD we captured directly to a laptop and hard drive. And if that means nothing to you, trust me, it's a good thing.






Soon, very soon, I may have some uploaded videos of these things for anyone who wants 'em.

More later on Cannes, next semester's classes at USC, and other things.

I heard a rumor that the Brewers and their fans may be infiltrating Wrigley Field this week. Here's a Packers joke but I think it applies to the not-quite-cosmopolitan fans of the Brew crew too:

Two Packer fans are hunting in the woods, drinking beer and stuffing their faces with cheese. Suddenly, one of the guys starts choking on a chunk of cheddar which send him into cardiac arrest. After some twisting around his body goes limp. His buddy, panicked, calls 911.

"I think my friend
just died of a heart attack!"

"Calm down. First thing I need you to do is make sure he's dead."

"OK, hold on a sec"

The operator listens as the guy puts down a phone, she then hears a loud BLAM! The Packer fan gets back on the line.

"OK, I'm sure, now what?"


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Two questions: Are you wearing a Dodgers hat? Who is the Brunette?

MARKJKOSIN said...

The brunette is Jennifer Marsala. She's a great actress (as we'll see once I post the videos) and one of the coolest people I've met in this town.

The cap on my head is one that was purchased in September of 2003 at the souvenir shop at the corner of Clark and Addison. What team logo do you think it displays?

Unknown said...

I would rather not say...I am missing 4 letters on my keyboard, makes it difficult to type go White _ox.

Anonymous said...

By the way Mark your joke at the end is a spin-off of the "world's funniest joke." A professor in Britain gathered tens of thousands of jokes and people voted on which they thought was the funniest. Personally I characterize it as mediocre but what the hell do I know. Anyway I suppose I should get back to studying for finals. I enjoyed the relief your blog has provided me but now I must get back to focusing on annoying people that find it necessary to whisper and cough in the library.