Monday, March 10, 2008

You Wanna Get Nuts? Let's Get Nuts!

Man, this weekend has been just crazy, and it all started with "The Deflowering".

Ever since getting back from Chicago I've been scrambling b/c I had to shoot this past weekend and decided to do some big-time rewriting on the ride from ORD to LAX.

You probably saw my less than stunning location photos from the last post: the only reason I put those up was b/c I was doing some stunt work on Fri nite and wanted my stunt coordinator to see what everything was going to look like. Rather than emailing all the pics I just assumed post 'em on here, make everyone's life easier.

As far as how shooting went on Friday, well, I was hoping to finish by 11pm, or midnight the latest and didn't get done until a little after 1am. But I did get all the shots I wanted. A friend of mine took some production stills and post 'em as soon as I have 'em. It was a pretty long day, especially since certain parts of the movie got really weird and funny and we all just about lost it at one point. On the one hand, it was probably the most fun I've had on set since DeLara's basement. On the other though, was a very "silly" movie, and probably the last of it's kind that I'll make, at least at USC. I start editing this week and then I'll find out if I really shot something cool or if all I have is an hour of ridiculous trash.

So after getting to bed around 3:30am on Fri night I "happily" got out of bed at 8 am to help a friend of mine on his shoot. He had me play a white gangster who wore a Cubs jersey, and my character was in the waiting room of a dentist's office to get his gold teeth checked out.

And I thought my project was silly.

No, seriously, the guy made a really funny movie about an average guy going to a dentist office and has this horrible nightmare about teeth getting bashed in with a sledgehammer and using a monkey wrench to pull teeth out. Fun stuff.

Yeah, then after that shooting I helped another friend with his shoot which included a sight gag of a guy opening up a door expecting to find a beautiful girl and instead finding a 6'5'' bald man wearing lipstick and a robe that was way too short.

Needless to say, between the stunts and over-the-top sexual awkwardness on my shoot and the insanity of the crazy dentist shoot, seeing an ex-Navy Seal putting on lipstick for a no-pay student film made me realize that I'm having way too much fun out here, and have developed a very high tolerance to all things weird, creepy, strange, ridiculous, nonsensical, and generally f*%$ed up. But I guess that's a necessary tolerance for living in this town. L.A. is almost like someone took the strangest people of Wicker Park in Chicago and said "How would you freaks like make your own city?"

I'd like to write more about my shoot, spring break plans, and my eye-opening night out in downtown L.A. but I'm very mentally, physically, and emotionally tired. Plus I think I have a sore throat.

That's all from the Pacific Time Zone. Enjoy the Monday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark - as one of your 6 dedicated readers, you make about 13 references to a dentist and my name does not came up in a subsequent parenthetical expression anywhere......are you trying to make it 5 dedicated readers?

Mark Kosin said...

Mike - a conspicuous omission indeed. I almost called you while working on it while we were in one of USC's dental school's expansive work areas, but this one guy behind the camera kept yelling "quiet on the set!".

Either way, we'll talk soon about bicuspids, incisors, and visiting a certain city that supposedly "never sleeps"

Not Vegas....

Markese said...

Mark! My girlfriend lives in Wicker Park....you really are trying to cut down on readership (not that she reads this slop)....me! I'm talking about me!

It's totally true though...that's what film sets do to people. They just turn into ridiculous goofballs with no ability to censor anything they do or say. 14 hours straight in the same room will do that.