Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Get Ready to Put on Your "O" Face

As in O! ....O! .......O-bama! You know what I'm talking about. ....O!
Actually, many don't know what I'm talking about as I created a bit of a Facebook firestorm when I declared my virtual support for the Democratic Senator from Illinois a few days ago. Now I don't want to get into a big political thing [instant lie] but today being the most exciting primary in American history, I just wanted to say a few things.

First of all, I am a conservative from DuPage County, as my good friend Mike reminded me last week. But I can think of three very good reasons for any Ronald Reagan-loving, tax-cutting, God-fearing Republican to support Obama:

1. He's not Hillary.
2. He's not Bill.
3. Didn't you read the first one?

And also let's not forget that Obama would be the first Presidential hopeful from the Land of Lincoln since Adlai "Don't Wait for the Translation" Stevenson. Don't get me wrong, I love the namesake of Chicago's gateway to the Southwest suburbs, but the guy had the charisma and appeal of a high school math teacher not named Schumacher. Illinois ain't had a president in damn near 140 years. That's a worse track record than a certain National League baseball team.

And as far as you crazy Democrats out there wary about supporting "the kid", I'm not going to talk about how Obama opposed the war in Iraq whereas Hillary voted as the polls told her, or mention that Barack is strong with independent voters which will be crucial come the general in November, or point out that the man's oratory skills might be powerful enough to convince John Paxson to make a f*#king trade. No, instead of bringing up all those valid points I'll just say this:

Come on.............c'mon...............c'mon..........come on now, c'mon.


For a more substantive argument I recommend the L.A. Times editorial board.

Anyway, I'm stepping down from my soapbox.......now.

Tomorrow I'll be glued to MSNBC's coverage of the primaries, while occasionally checking in with Wolf Blitzer (and his massive wall of TV's) at CNN and a peak or two at Fox News to keep in step with what those in the Western Suburbs are watching. Oh, and apparently Dan Rather will be broadcasting from USC's campus for coverage on HDNET, so I'll be checking that scene out, too.

Peace out and Happy Primary Voting!

5 comments:

John Patrick Dietzler said...

Mark may I politely remind you that there is another prominent presidential candidate that was born in Illinois from your beloved Democratic Party, Hillary Clinton. So if you want to have another Illinois native become president (the only one actually born in Illinois being Reagan) by all means vote for the Democratic nominee. But by voting for either Clinton or Obama you will be betraying Illinois' proud presidential candidate association (all have been Republicans: Lincoln, Grant, Reagan). So before you cast your vote in November, or October if via mail, then I suggest remaining true to the great Illinois tradition I have mentioned, by only supporting candidates from Illinois representing the Republican party. Do you think that it was coincidence that Adali Stevenson II lost not once but twice? Democratic Presidential nominees from Illinois have a curse and this year will be no different. I will also mention that Stevenson's grandfather Adali Stevenson I (also a democrat and the V.P. under Grover Cleveland) ran for president twice after that stint in office and like Adali Stevenson II lost twice. So go ahead and vote for Clinton or Obama but wouldn't you rather back a winner?

John Patrick Dietzler II
(Struggling to keep the Republican Party alive in Boulder Colorado)

Unknown said...

How could I forget the Gipper?

I think I need to make a pilgrimage to a certain Presidential Library in Simi Valley and listen to Dixon's favorite son tell Gorbachev exactly what to do with that wall!

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=93Pp4UO--og&feature=related

sorry for the subtitles. go to the three minute mark, mark.

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-xwCy_ai_E0

sorry, this one's better

John Patrick Dietzler said...

Just to reinforce the quasi post script I mentioned. All of you Bush/Cheney haters should move to the oddest place in the world, not just the US. For real enjoyment I highly recommend checking out the comments made by readers at the end of the article. My personal favorite is..."When you geniuses are done with this I think it would be appropriate to focus your energies on wiping out organized crime in Southeast Asia."

ENJOY!

JPD II

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/12/boulder-weighs-impeach-bush/