Friday, February 15, 2008

An Exciting Week in An Exciting Year

As I rang in the New Year 46 days ago at RedNoFive, toasting champagne with Bill Hupp, and blowing cigar smoke into the angry faces of Nick and Kelly, I think I said that 2008 is going be one hell of a year.

And if I didn't, I'm saying it now.

2007 was all well and good, but it was kind of a transition time, like everyone was in motion before the ball was snapped. We set up our lights and camera. Now, it's time for action!

And this week acts as a preview trailer for the feature film of 2008, with a whole host of cool things happening:

First off, this Sunday I'm shooting my first short at USC. It's 2 interior locations, right on campus, only 2 principal actors, which is all really good b/c it gives me CONTROL. No weather or police or jackhammerers will disrupt the shoot, so hopefully everything will go smoothly. I'm really excited b/c its the first of 4 films I'll be making in my class (the class is referred to, by everyone, as "507"). Next semester we have a class called 508, which is producing shorts on film. 507 is all digital cameras.

Secondly, this Friday marks the grand opening of Oedipus the King, the inaugural production from Big Brother Productions, the theater company run by my great friend, Derek Dion, and for which I am a board member. The show will feature the Greek tragedy shown through the prism of 21st century media -- with some video moments filmed by "Geneva's Favourite Son", the very talented Rob O'Brien. So GO SEE THE SHOW!!!!! There's more info from the link above, and for tickets call (773) 883 1090 or go to www.bailiwick.org. There will be more shows from Big Brother in 2008, but as I said a few weeks ago, it's a startup company and needs support.

I will be coming home on Feb 29 and seeing the show on March 1st. So if you want to buy tickets for that date, awesome. But do it now, before it gets sold out.

There's a few more exciting things that happened this week that set up a great '08, and one of them was the primary wins by B.O. For Obamacans like me, or you regular old bleeding hearts out there (Matt) I suggest checking out the inspirational Yes We Can video.

There's also a McCain video, that everyone should really check out.

Whatever happens, I am glued to cable news and cannot wait to see how Decision'08 all goes down.

And speaking of victories for the Land of Lincoln, last Wednesday the boys in blue pinstripes rode into Mesa as pitchers and catchers reported for spring training. I don't wanna be pull a Zambrano and make all kinds of crazy predictions (Ryan Dempster beat me to the punch), but man oh man, it'd be nice to stop short of the century mark. There's so much to say about the team, but I'll leave sports blogging to the experts. A site I like and visit often is bleedcubbieblue.com. I just have 4 syllables for Cubs fans to learn:

FU-KU-DO-ME

So enjoy the weekend, wish me luck for shooting, go see Oedipus, wear an Obama button, and begin the countdown to opening day.

T-minus 44 days and counting.

No comments: