Thursday, October 15, 2009

Intern of Steel

Faster than a speeding golf cart, less powerful than a production assistant, and able to pick up tall lattes in a single run.....

Yes, its Mark Kosin: SMALLVILLE intern!

As I've mentioned before this semester has been designated the "Semester of Television", and nothing else I'm doing these few months can compare to the amazing experience I've had so far interning at the CW show Smallville.

Entering its 9th (wow) season, its no secret that this prequel series to the adventures of Superman had its highest popularity when it first started in the early 2000s. I'm not the biggest fan of hour dramas on TV, except when they branch out of the usual "doctor-cop-lawyer" cage, which is just what Smallville does. (Also see: LOST, MADMEN, and GLEE.)

Anyway, its been amazing because I'm working in the writers' office of an hour-long TV show being produced for network television and am getting a first-hand look at how a show really comes together and operates day-to-day.

Now, all the shooting takes place in Vancouver, Canada, so I don't get to go on set or see production at all. I did, however, get included in a bit of behind-the-scenes fun in post-production (which all takes place at Warner Brothers in Burbank).

They needed some extra ADR (audio dialogue recording) for tonight's episode and wrangled me and another intern to record some dialogue. It was really cool to see the facilities and the process (they do everything so QUICKLY). And so, if you listen in on tonight's episode (#4 - Echo, check local listings) you may briefly hear my voice coming in over the airwaves of the CW tonight.

Voice acting is just one of my many talents...the rest are of course linked to the usual office work, but its all good. Tons more little cool things happen everyday, which help keep my buoyant during the almost 2 hours of round trip commuting I do each day to get there. I don't mind it, though: all part of living and working in this damned city. The only way to really avoid it would be to fly, and that would be just...

....super?

No comments: