Tuesday, December 2, 2008

We Gather Together....

...for turkey, futbol, and Vegas.







Okay, so I'll admit it wasn't the most traditional Thanksgiving, but I did the best I could.

Indeed, it was a bittersweet day of thanks for me. With picture lock happening just last Wednesday, plus writing assignments and sound editing on the horizon, making the flight back to Chicago to spend Thanksgiving with family and friends was a regrettably unpractical thing to do.

But, in order to take my mind off the fact that I was missing mom's turkey, Grandma's sweet potatoes, and beers with old friends at Curly's in the GE, I decided to host a Thanksgiving dinner at my apt for anyone else who stayed in L.A. for the holiday.

Which means that, despite the vote of no-confidence from some friends back home, I took it upon myself to prepare the Thanksgiving turkey. And I have to say two things: 1) I'm not too shabby in the kitchen when it comes down to it, and 2) Cooking a turkey is a lot of work and pressure and I'll be happy if I never have to do it again. To all the mothers, aunts, and grandmothers out there: a tip of the cap is in order. Thanksgiving is a lot easier when all I have to do is go to the store to pick up a bag of ice and watch football all day.

And though I couldn't be home, I did enjoy bringing a lot of my classmates together and had some real fun with some of my foreign friends who were celebrating their first Thanksgiving ever. Luckily we had enough food for everyone to experience the true meaning of the holiday: eating so much that by the end of the meal you feel sick.

Man, I love America.

Indeed though, the foreign devils even got kind of into the spirit as once the food had settled an impromptu game of soccer was started on the beach. As much as I wanted to throw the pigskin around, I decided that between the palm trees outside and sushi next to the turkey, this Thanksgiving was already less-than-traditional. Besides, futbol.....football, who really keeps track of these things?

Indeed, the whole weekend took an even more interesting turn when a couple of my friends and my roommate decided to forget heading to the malls the day after, we were going to hit Vegas.

So we traded the twinkle of Xmas lights and crowded stores for sparkling neon lights and crowds of whores.

(Sorry, but it rhymes and there are a lot of loose women in Vegas...)

It was just a one night thing, had to get back to work on writing and get ready for these final two weeks of sound editing. But it was a nice break and a fun reward for a challenging couple of weeks. I felt a little strange about it all at first, but celebrating turkey day in 60 degree weather had already set the bar for strangeness. I'm just thanking God I won't have to make do with a California Christmas.

Speaking of my favorite time of the year, I saw Tom Skilling on WGN this morning talk about the first snow of the year. Damn, am I jealous.

Oh well....at least I won $200 playing roulette at the Mirage!



Happy Shoveling!

No comments: