Sunday, July 27, 2008

Is Mark Still Alive?

Well, we haven't done this in a while, have we? Have I been on the DL with Kerry Wood cuz of a "blister"? Or, thought that since I'd moved to Venice I'd "gone soft": started sitting on the beach all day.... smoking maryjane...... cruisin' the waves.... drawing caricatures of tourists for $15 a pop..... no direction, no ambition, just......whatever: it's sunny today.

That's actually exactly what I've been doing. Lot of money in that caricature job. Spent some time as a living statue, too.











Naw, I'm screwing with you. I've just been writing. Not the blog, obviously. But scripts and stuff. A little comedy material. Some other musings. That's what's great about characterizing yourself as a "writer" - you can pretty much B.S. how much actual time you spent on something and no one is the wiser.

"Mark, what'd you do all summer?"

"Spent my time writing."

"Oh, cool. Can I see-?"

"Nope. Not quite done yet."

"Okay..."

Yeah. Now I just need to get paid for that.

But I have admittedly been taking it easy, but with one whirlwind of a fall on the horizon, I've decided there's nothing wrong with cruising in neutral for a few miles (especially considering today's gas prices).

Of course, I have spent some time getting settled into my new place which took longer than I thought. It's a pretty old unit so things (like getting a washer/dryer) took a little while, plus there's, like, this beach that's not too far. So that's been something. But I've got some pictures of the new pad.

The kitchen. If the stove looks familiar, it's probably because you've seen it in the 1960 kitchen of Donald Draper from AMC's hit show MAD MEN. Yes, that is my actual stove, and yes, it's been around since before the Nixon era. But it works like a charm! (so I'm told. Haven't 'cooked' anything yet)


The other half of the kitchen, which I have tried like hell to make it look more like a Chicago sports bar than anything else.


Couches. As you would assume, they face the TV. I like this room.

My bedroom's kind of funny. It's pretty damn big, and it's got that crazy alcove area where I stuck my bed. The whole place is kind of funny and quirky like that, I think it might be haunted, too.

And finally, tough to tell from this nite-time pic, but I've got a cool little yard area. Chairs, a table, and a grill will soon be out there. Perfect for smoking cigars.


And before I wrap up, there's another little issue that we need to talk about. Last time I posted and described my desire to hear from everyone who reads this thing about their personal favorite music tastes. Not anything crucial, but I thought it'd be cool to know what everyone listens to.

Little did I realize that pretty much NOBODY who reads the blog has ever enjoyed listening to music. Ever. At least, that's what I have to assume since the responses I got to that post were less than overwhelming.

Listen y'all, this blog has got to be a kind of two-way street if I'm going to keep pumping it out during my next semester. I love writing it, but I'd like to know that people are reading it. And I'd like to know what people are up to outside of what their facebook status says. To those who have left comments: you already know that you're cool and can ignore the rest of this. Thanks and peace out. Others, have been less willing to talk.

In fact, the only time this thing gets peppered with comments is when I happen to mention a certain senator from Illinois who is running for a certain office of some prestige.

So here's the deal: if you read a post, drop a comment every now and then. Doesn't have to be anything special, it can even be anonymous. Just write "Cubs in '08!" or say "hi" or anything.

And if all you cool people don't leave me a comment or two each week, I won't quit writing this, but I'll turn it into a Barack Obama fan site.

All Obama. All the time.

I know a lot of you wouldn't like that too much. (((cough, John, Bill, dad)))

I'm going to get back to writing this on a once or twice a week basis in August, and I'd like to open the lines of communication a bit more. I'm not saying a comment every week. But just let me know you're out there. If you don't, you'll have to deal with THIS:

























LOOK AT HIM! HE'S AN INEXPERIENCED, ONE-TERM SENATOR WHO "GIVES GOOD SPEECHES"! HE'S GOING TO RAISE TAXES AND LEAVE IRAQ IN A STATE OF CHAOS!

(plus, didja hear he might be Muslim?)

That's my 'shot across the bow'. Just lemme know you're out there and everything will be fine.

I'll be back in CHI July 30. Hopefully see ya.

CUBS IN '08!

4 comments:

jenn marsala said...

"Cubs in '08!" and "hi" to my favorite friend named Mark Kosin. I ran into Curt at a callback today and we had a nice little walk down "California 29th" memory lane. How're things? I hear you're writing these days :)

jenn

Anonymous said...

nice pad mark. sounds like you haven't been working too hard this summer. we will get together thursday at 1:05. if you come to my place, there happens to be 28 cans of old style in the fridge

Anonymous said...

indeed, Mike. its about time I got a break from the rat race...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark! You should come to the STL to visit and watch the Cards vs Cubs in September. Just a thought. I would have told you about some great music, but you know I like country and then I know you would have made fun of me. Hope to talk to you soon.