Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"Months Beginning with 'Feb'"

"Feb-tober!"

Yeah, so it's been some time since the last post, but, hey, I've been a little busy, okay?

Besides, what's happened since Jan 19 anyway? The Steelers won the Superbowl...AGAIN, Kate Winslet was nominated for an Oscar....AGAIN, the Governor of Illinois left his office in disgrace......(sigh)...AGAIN.

So, see, there hasn't been that much new news to peruse.

The doc is going well. It's obviously eating up a lot of my time and energy, but its good: I like staying busy. Still have time to keep up with some of the favorite shows and maybe even grab a drink every now and then. I was able to squeeze in a hockey game last week at the Staples Center: Blackhawks and Kings.

Hawks lost, making me 0-2 in 2009 for Blackhawk games.

Listen, hockey gods, I didn't jump on this bandwagon and start kinda learning the players names (Toews? Toes? Thames?) just so I could root for another team that's going to consistently break my heart. I get enough of that from the Big 3 sports as it is. Say what you want about NASCAR but at least Jimmy Johnson wins Nextel Cups.

Anyway, that's my own little problem we'll deal with later.

Speaking of Chicago, I was saddened to see that there was a fire at Holy Name Cathedral. Thank you-know-who that the fire didn't spread much or hurt anyone, but its a shame since I knew they had just finished a long renovation.

Outside of St. Petronille's, I'd say Holy Name is my hometown church. I've been to plenty of masses there since going to classes downtown at Loyola and obviously with our family spending so much time downtown its become a bigger part of our lives. Luckily, the damage was mostly to the roof and some inside water damage, but it seems the main structure of the Cathedral is still intact.

Reminds me of when I was in Cologne (coming on four years ago, now) and you'd see pictures of the town in ruins but the Cathedral standing tall. And nothing is stronger than a Chicago Cathedral, as Cardinal George said "Chicago has bounced back from fires before, and we'll bounce back from this".

Anyway, heard also that there's some better weather coming CHI's way thsi weekend so I hope everyone gets a relief from the wintery-winterness thats been going on. Out here there's some rain in the forecast for the weekend (of course the rain in LA is about as intense as when the turn on the sprinklers at the gorilla house in Brookfield Zoo).

It's about time.

All these clear skies and 80 degree weather was starting to give me a sunburn.

Just kidding.*

Hope February gets off to a good start and I'll talk to y'all later.



*I always wear sunscreen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mark, with only one post in the last month your readers feel isolated and forgotten about

MARKJKOSIN said...

Well, Mike, I guess I'm just trying to make my readers feel a little bit more like Rex Grossman.

O, Rexy: so, so no longer sexy.